What is a superfood? It’s a nutrient-rich food considered especially beneficial for health and well-being. These powerhouses pack large doses of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Many are different colors, each containing a different nutrient profile, so it’s advantageous to consume a variety.
What are the benefits? There are many benefits for including superfoods into your diet on a regular, even daily, basis. They help fight diseases such as cancers, heart disease, autoimmune disorders, and more. Most superfoods naturally reduce inflammation – the root of many illnesses. Chronic inflammation can also lead to pain and stiffness in muscles and joints. Superfoods are typically lower in calories, and higher in nutrients than many processed foods, which can help support a healthy weight.
Top 10 Everyday Superfoods
While some superfoods are exotic and may be challenging to find in your local grocery store, that’s not the case for this list of “everyday” superfoods. These top 10 are meant to guide you toward easy to find superfoods that you could fit into your everyday life.
- Kale: High in Vitamin K and A, this leafy green also contains antiviral and antibacterial properties. Bake them into “chips”, saute for a side, or blend it raw into a smoothie.
- Quinoa: It is one of the few plant-based sources to get a “complete” protein. It’s also high in fiber and low-glycemic. Enjoyed both warm and cold, it makes a great side as a pilaf or salad.
- Chia: High in omega-3’s and fiber, these tiny seeds pack a big punch. Sprinkle a couple tablespoons on a salad or yogurt, or blend into a smoothie.
- Brussel Sprouts: They have more glucosinolates (compounds that combat cancer and detoxify our bodies) than any other vegetable. Cut them in half and roast or sauté them with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spinach: This immune-boosting, vision and bone-protecting leafy green is high in Calcium and Vitamin K. Enjoy it raw in a salad, wilted as a side, or blended in a smoothie.
- Salmon: You’ll get all the heart-smart omega-3s you need in a day from just 3oz. Raw sushi, grilled, or baked – it’s all delicious.
- Garlic: A delicious-tasting, anti-inflammatory food that has heart health and circulatory benefits. Add to a variety of dishes raw or cooked for seasoning.
- Avocados: A healthy fat that keeps you satisfied, and has more potassium than bananas! Top a salad, sandwich, or toast with a couple slices. And of course – make guacamole!
- Walnuts: Just 14 walnut halves provide more than twice your daily dose of alpha-linolenic acid, and omega-3 fat that’s been shown to improve memory and coordination. Enjoy a small handful for a snack or toss a few in your salad or yogurt.
- Berries: They are loaded with antioxidants and phytochemicals that help prevent cancer, and full of fiber to keep blood-sugar steady. Acai is one of the highest in antioxidants. You can eat this sweet treat as a snack, on top of yogurt, blended in smoothies, or as a dessert.
Fresh Nation incorporates many superfoods into all of their menu items. If you are looking for convenient options to get your superfoods in everyday, Fresh Nation is launching prepared meals to go. You can pick up multiple meals and have nutritious lunches and/or dinners all week! More details coming soon. Make sure you are on our mailing list so you can stay informed.
Personalized nutritional services available for specific dietary recommendations. To schedule a complimentary 15-minute informational consultation, email Stephanie Brust at Stephanie@GoFreshNation.com.
Stephanie Brust, MS, RDN – Registered Dietitian Nutritionist